Batman is a renowned pop culture icon. Everything from the suit, to the car, to the residence has been burnished into our collective consciousness. The Batcave, in its various forms, is more than just a set. It is a physical manifestation of Batman’s identity. It provides information about the protagonist and the hero’s journey. It is an environment set up for Batman’s success. Divas, it is time to create your own Batcave.
Your 29 Days to Diva Challenge for Day 12 is to Draft the Blueprints for Your Own Batcave.
For a quick return to our overarching theme, board game play is also an environment set up for focus on the task at hand. Good game design instructs you where to sit. It also makes clear which direction the action is supposed to move. It visually informs the players of the stakes and the current leader of the pack. If you are a diva in this game, you need to build your own environment and set yourself up for success.
Diva Batcave Layout Tips
In order for us to build better habits, we need to minimize the amount of brainpower devoted to completing the habit.
Build Your World Around It
- Make your Diva Batcave a central spot in your living arrangement. You want your practice materials to be out and ready every time you walk by so you can jump right in (even while you’re waiting for water to boil on the stove.) You should feel a gravitational pull toward your Batcave every time you walk into your space.
Make Your Batcave Instagram-worthy
- We all want to spend time in spaces that inspire us. Pour your energy into making your practice space the envy of all the Instagram divas. Make the space warm and welcoming with good lighting and add elements that motivate you. Perhaps you want to hang concert posters from particularly memorable gigs. Maybe you want framed pictures of you with your musical mentors and friends. This may also compel you to share the fruits of your rehearsing labors on Instagram. #myconcerthall, am I right?
- Want some inspiration? I like this post from Chloe Adlington on little craft-y ideas to perk up your space. I particularly love her idea of organizing your practicing “to-do” list visually in your Diva Batcave.
Make your practice space the envy of all the Instagram divas.
Organize Your Materials
- Remember the Batcave from The Dark Knight? All clean lines and industrial chic? Notice that all of the equipment is hidden behind walls and under the floor to preserve order and purity. Perhaps your style is more boho than Batman. No matter the fashion, let your practice headquarters run on an optimal filing and organization system.
- This also means highlighters, paperclips, post-its, sharpened pencils, music stands, tuning forks, and whatever other practicing paraphernalia is necessary should be organized close at hand.
Get Your Tech On
- Bruce Wayne would tell you himself: one’s lair must have all the necessary equipment and gadgets. I’m sure your Diva Batcave doesn’t need a supercomputer, crime lab, or specialized laboratories all run on a hydrogen generator. But, it could probably benefit from a keyboard, a computer with internet access, recording equipment, and those obligatory linchpins – a tuner and metronome.
Since practice is our number one “grind activity,” it only makes sense that we would build an environment for it that reflects how we see ourselves and the hero’s journey that we are on. When you are drawing up the blueprints for your Diva Batcave, challenge yourself to think like a game designer too. Do these materials and does this space encourage me to keep moving forward in my career or is this a stalling point? Let your space keep your dream alive.
I’d love to hear from you.
How do you plan to specifically change your headquarters today:
- What’s one new habit or activity you’re trying to build, and how are you making it easier to complete that task?
- What’s one bad habit you’re trying to get rid of, and how are you making it harder to complete that task?
Leave a comment being as SPECIFIC as possible. And remember – small changes trump drastic ones.
Toi, toi, toi, divas!
[…] mini practice suggestions for your repertoire that you can do in 5 minutes. Walking by your Diva Batcave? Got 5 minutes? You could speak the text in that difficult patter section. You could practice that […]
[…] Day 12 Challenge is to Draft the Blueprints for Your Own Batcave. […]